Monday, September 29, 2014

The World Famous Pike Place Market

One of my favorite places to photograph that I keep coming back to is Pike Place Market in Seattle, WA. The market itself is always full of life and vibrance. I particularly enjoy the variety of colors that it exhibits. Being back in Seattle for school, I was able to visit Pike Place once again. As always, my camera was in hand. 


My favorite street to enter the market is off of Pike Street. Coming this way, you're greeted by the famous "Public Market Center" sign with the clock. Heading into the market, there are so many different vendors that bring various types of fruits, vegetables, crafts and just about anything you can think of. 










While the produce is full of color, I also really enjoy checking out the art and crafts that different local artists have produced. 







One thing that I personally enjoy about Pike Place is being able to see people interacting with one another. Even the street performers give enjoyment to people just passing along. This time, right out in front of the original Starbucks Coffee, there was a group of blue grass musicians performing. I had seen guitarists, pianists and people playing both of those plus a harmonica at once, but never a full blue grass roots band. 

This street performer named Emmitt is very popular around Pike Place. He is most well known for being able to play guitars (yes, guitars plural), the harmonica and hula-hoop all at the same time. 





Two tourists take a photo-op with the world famous flying fish. Unfortunately, not many fish were taking flight today.


The photo immediately above is perhaps one of my favorite photos. I believe that it shows the happiness and joy that the vendors have when helping out their customers. 

For many, they don't head down into the lower levels of the market that includes Ghost Alley. This is one of my favorite locations for photos of the market because it features the gum wall. This wall is covered with literally thousands of pieces of gum and counting! The most creative proposal that I've seen is the one that is written on the gum wall. If you look closely, you can make out the words "Will you marry me..." Unfortunately, the name has since been covered up by other pieces of gum. It's pretty cool that that still is there after all these years.


Every time I head to the market, I always try to get something new and different with my camera. I absolutely love coming here for the variety of people that it always brings. While it is the same, there are always new ways to look at the market and that's what I love about Pike Place.

No comments:

Post a Comment